Ben's Bee Blog; Optimism breathes Encouragement.

Be easy. Take a breath. Enjoy Life!

Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland

Saturday, April 23, 2011

What's For Dinner?

Bee Larva!!!! YEAHHHHHHHH.  Bee Larva!!!! YEAHHHHHHHH... - old school crank yankers joke... come'on somebody out there gets it... Yeahhhhhhhhhh.  Ok just me, thats fine.

And just kind of kidding about bee larva for supper, although, in some countries to do.  Yeah, they do.  They fry it like stir fry and eat it up.  They make excellent health claims about eating bee larva ( baby bees not devolped, similiar to caviar if you will), claiming its low in fat and high in protein.  Well, unfortunely that will be one bee product I will not be putting into to my body.  I need my baby bees to grow up and make me some honey!  I really wanted to post some links or pictures of this dish... lol... but I thought I would be nice and not do that to ya'll.  Google eating bee larva for all those curious who want to be like the cat.  Oh, how about this disneynature movie out now called African Cats - I want to see it!  Looks good. 

Why are we talking about bee larva???  YES, there is purpose.  Today's goal was to open the beehive (safely, implied) and search for bee larva ensuring that Queen Ortensia is laying eggs.  Now, serveral things have to happen before this can be, new baby bees that is.  Honeycomb must be built in order for the Queen Ortensia to lay the egg in the cells, Queen Ortensia must have mated with the drones in order to produce these eggs, and nature's process must naturally occur encompassing many aspects.  My family was in town for this exciting event making it all the more special.  My father, my main man Max (my nephew), and myself suited up for the event.  Others watched from outside the fence with holes in it...As if that would protect them in an all out attack of 10,000!  We opened up the hive, pulled out one frame.  Nobody can see anything, just chambers of honeycomb sealed - but what is in that?   Honey? Eggs? Of course, the side with stuff on it is facing my father and nothing on my side.  It's very difficult to turn  and view.  I put that frame back, grab another.  Again, the side with stuff on it is facing my father's side, just bees on my side of the frame I am looking at.  Nobody see's anything.  I now am a little nervous.  And I now realize that having my father looking for this bee larva may have not had been the best idea since he cannot see that well and we are looking for tiny eggs/larva.  At the last second, my sister chimes in with "Ben, put that in the other way."  I did forget, the frames go in a certain way and need to be put back in that way.  How she saw and knew that from a far I am not sure? - but I was thankful.  I grabbed a third frame.  This time there was stuff on my side, and bingo, I saw bee larva.  It was abundent and obvious.  YEAHHHHHH, we got bee larva.  I started to show my family when shouts of "there's the Queen" came flying in.  I didn't see her, and believe it was just a drone ( a bigger bee).  Today's mission was complete and boy was it crucial.  This, as far as I know, ensures I have a fully functioning healthy beehive and will soon have new bees.  I can't wait.  Possible video to follow........ STAY TUNED.   

1 comment:

  1. What if you found a shallow container to sit your hive in...if you fill it with water, the ants can't get to the hive then, right??

    ReplyDelete