Ben's Bee Blog; Optimism breathes Encouragement.

Be easy. Take a breath. Enjoy Life!

Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Another Beemaster Meeting

Proverbs 19:20  Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise.  - God, aka The Bible
Proverbs 13:10  Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those that take advice.
- God, aka The Bible

One day earlier this week I was extremely blessed to get another chance to meet with a wise old beekeeper.  This guy's grandfather was a beekeeper and he worked with a commercial outfit that operated around 1000 beehives, I just have 1 - LOL  This guy was amazing, he answered all my many questions and gave sound advice.  I tried to listen in and understand everything he was saying.  One of the most interesting things he said was that once you decide on your beehive location, leave it there and don't move it.  Even if you move it 3 feet over it will confuse the bees as apparently they have this totally righteous built in GPS compass in their tiny little brain.  Nevertheless, he was extremely helpful answering many questions that I had.  Overall, he said I have a pretty good set up and everything should go just fine for me.  Between this Beemaster and the other Beemaster there is a combined total of around 1200 beehives mastered experience.  I think its safe to say that I might be the most advanced beginner beekeeper there can be!  
CURRENT UPDATE:
Tick-Tock, the bees come in like 4-5 days.  Enlight of not being able to convince my mother that my home-made bee suit was sufficient, I now had to rush(and pay for that rush order) an order of a completed bee suit to pass my mother's inspection.  Which I still don't have by the way.  I went by the post office to tell them that I would be receiving bees (very surprisingly that conversation went wonderful, actually perfect) and to call me as soon as they receive them.  They should be here this monday or tuesday, wednesday at the latest.  Dad and I exactly don't have the beehive completely fixed yet.  We have done some vast improvements though!  I actually did a DUMB thing and sanded everything a little too much or rather in areas I should not have.  Thus, some ends are like wavy and not flush like they should be which is not good.  So, we are dealing with that, among other improvements that are going ok but not complete. 
STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORE UPDATES COMING & THE BEES :)

No comments:

Post a Comment