Ben's Bee Blog; Optimism breathes Encouragement.

Be easy. Take a breath. Enjoy Life!

Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Buying Bees

In late January from my California residence, I made a decision to purchase some bees from a Kentucky company called Walter T. Kelly.  I called to order what's called a starter kit which comes with one queen and some bees.  Well, like any curious new bee keeper (thats what they call people in the bee business - "bee keepers") I asked what comes in a starter kit.  The lady replied, "3 lbs. of bees and one queen."  I then asked well just how many bees is 3 pounds?  She very simply replied, "about ten thousand." 10,000! Oh ok, perfect, thank you very much.  She then asked me, "do you want an Italian queen or Russian queen?"  I said, "Italian."  Then she asked me, "how many starter kits would you like to purchase?"  I said, "just one will be fine, thank you very much."  As if...?
Anyways, my bees will ship April 9th and arrive in Arkansas (my new home) where I will attempt to bee keep (i think thats the verb) a successful hive and make it thrive.  Wish me luck!!!

P.S. I haven't told my parents whose land the bees will be on about the 10,000 part yet...I'm thinking that should be an April's fool joke on April 1st...except the part about April Fools will be April Truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment